Wednesday, April 15, 2009

"Lights and Shadows"

"Lights and Shadows"
after John Singer Sargent ~~ Corfu: Lights and Shadows ~~ 1909

I am always searching for ways to grow as an Artist. Sometimes, the best way is to step back and take a look at the Masters of Art. One of my favorites is John Singer Sargent.
During Art class last night, I studied one of his landscapes. I tried to see if I could capture the shadows of light on the house, as he had. I would never compare the two, but I am happy with the way my turned out :)
During Sargent's long career, he painted more than 2,000 watercolors, roving from the English countryside to Venice to the Tyrol, Corfu, the Middle East, Montana, Maine, and Florida, and each destination offered pictorial stimulation and treasure. Even at his leisure, in escaping the pressures of the portrait studio, he painted with restless intensity, often painting from morning until night.

This is the 15th day of my "A Painting A Day" series. I will post a "Painting a Day" for the month of April... and YOU will receive a free limited edition watercolor print, just for checking in!! You will be guaranteed a free limited edition print at the end of the month. There is no drawing to see who wins... Everyone WINS!!To Receive your print, Follow these 3 easy steps:1. Follow my Blog2. Comment on at least 5 "Paintings of the Day" during the month of April.3. You may purchase your print of choice from my shop beginning May 1st. I will refund 100% of the cost. All you pay is the shipping!

12 comments:

laura said...

I think this turned out great--and that's one of my favorite Sargent paintings; I know it well. You really captured the sunstruck feeling; and, as in Sargent's, I love the little rectamgle of darker blue sea.

laura said...

p.s. I'm curious to know what size your painting is?

Laura Trevey said...

to Laura ~~ I knew that you would be familiar with this painting ~~ I love your work :)
This size is 11" by 15"

Elizabeth Seaver said...

The house is very dimensional. I think you really got interesting shadows.

RH Carpenter said...

Beautifually done, Laura. This is one of my favorites for the colors inside the shadows. I, too, have tried to copy this one to learn. He has many I'd like to try some day.

paula said...

this is stunning.

Jo said...

You are so talented! I love the colors and the lines in this painting.

Jo

Dessert Diva said...

I love the way the shadows play along the sides of the building!

danunepthys(at)hotmail(dot)com

Anne said...

Hi Laura: Thanks for posting a comment on my blog, I would love to exchange links with you, please feel free to email me at anneliberteas@yahoo.com Thanks!!!

And I love your artwork... beautiful!!!

Baroness Bijoutery said...

I think your painting turn out very well...You do such beautiful work...

jae said...

Laura - I believe you have captured the light and shadows beautifully. The piece has a very dimensional quality and I love the coloring. So glad you commented on my blog since it led me here.

FrumsGlass said...

This is lovely.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin